I decided to plan my route of Thailand in advance as we were only there for a limited amount of time. It was so hard to try and cover everywhere and there are lots of places we missed that I would love to have gone to but theres always next time. After lots of research and planning here is my route including all the accommodation we stayed in and how we got there:
- Dublin to Bangkok with Ethiad Airlines (stopover in Abu Dhabi)
- Bangkok – D&D Inn 2 nights
- Bangkok to Chiang Mai – flight with Air Asia €30, 1hour
- Chiang Mai – Baan Khun, 5 nights, other recommended accommodation – Brick House Hostel
- Try go to Pai, something I would have loved to have done but didn’t have enough time (3 nights)
- Chiang Mai – Krabi flight with Air Asia €60, 2hrs
- Krabi – Kih Phi Phi ferry 1hr 30mins, 400 baht
- Phi Phi – Golden Hill Bungalows, 6 nights
- Phi Phi – Koh Phangan 12 hours ferry bus ferry 1000 baht ( you can get cheaper see my Phi Phi post!)
- Koh Phangan to Koh Tao ferry 400 baht, 2 hours
- Koh Tao – Jizos Hostel 3 nights location great otherwise very poor
- Koh Tao – Koh Samui ferry 500 baht 3 hours
- Koh Samui – Chill Chaweng Hostel 2 nights
- Koh Samui – Surat Thani ferry 450 baht including transfer to airport
- Surat Thani – Siem Reap Cambodia with Air Asia
Tip: look into the flight prices from both Koh Samui airport and Surat Thani airport. Surat Thani is the nearest airport back on the mainland but flights can be substantially cheaper!
Budget: For 3 weeks in Thailand including return flights from Dublin and internal flights I spent just over €2000. It is really cheap over there and there are budget friendly options for everything. We decided to spend most of our money on activities rather than nice accommodation but its definitely do able on the cheap!
Hope this is helpful, let me know if you have any questions.